Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Here goes... well... everything...

I've always been a pretty active person. I participated in several different sports growing up: tennis, swimming, t-ball (OK... one game), dance, and competitive cheerleading. So, when I got older and began to view myself as lazy I started wondering what was wrong. I always loved being outside with my friends, but through my mid 20's to now I began finding myself more comfortable at home and not doing much of anything considered active. Last year I decided to change that, so I trained for and ran my first half marathon. I should have seen the warning signs then...

More notably, over the summer I began having severe headaches and my right eye began to slightly droop. I noticed it, but figured I was just getting old (HA). Then my mom noticed it. If you've read any of my posts before today you probably already know about the Aneurysm Scare of 2012. Thankfully it was only a scare and all was well in that area, BUT we still didn't have answers for any of my symptoms. While AS2012 was occuring my neurologist was running a blood panel for several other options. One came back positive... an acetylcholine receptor antibody. I know... that means nothing to you... basically it is an antibody of "little white soldiers" that stand between my nerve endings and my voluntary muscles. The "soldiers" block the messages from getting to my muscles causing fatigue of the limbs, droopy eyelids, double vision, and in more advanced cases, breathing problems. All of that to say... I tested positive for one out of the two indicators for an autoimmune disorder called Myasthenia Gravis. I know... I had never heard of it before either! But... they have a foundation and a 5k... whoot whoot!

From there I was ordered to have a CT scan performed... and behold! they found that my thymus (a gland that should no longer be active in an adult body that produces these "little white soldiers") is still going strong in mine... SO... I'm having mine removed on November 12th. Thanks to modern technology they won't have to open my chest and instead a tiny little camera will go in with a skilled team from the Emory Cardiothoracic Surgery department to remove the gland and all of its tissues. The goal: to be in the 60% remission category after the surgery!

Now... if I still exhibit symptoms of the disorder (which I won't) then I will take medication... but please hear me when I say... This is NOT life threatening for me and I will live to be as old as the Good Lord intends me to be. In fact... After my surgery I begin training for my second half marathon, The Nashville Country Music Half in April 2013. Currently I'm receiving IVIG treatments to help build my immune system before the surgery. This is just a precaution so that I'm healthy enough to have a successful surgery.

I am 100% confident that our amazing God has a plan that is best for me and those I love. I'm also 100% reliant and peaceful in that plan. No the plan isn't always easy, and no I may not always be comfortable in every second of it, but I know that if I stick it out, the reward is far greater than anything I could imagine. God has placed amazing people in my life that are sticking this out with me and have continued to support me every step of the way. I'm more grateful than you will ever know.

Here's to praying for sturdy veins during IVIG and steady hands during surgery ;) hehe

No comments:

Post a Comment